The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Carlyon Bay Hotel will be suitable for you and your family, friends and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you find this information useful and beneficial.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01726 812304 (option 1)
- Reservations are open from 07.30 to 23.00 daily.
- We have a comprehensive website - https://carlyonbay.com
- Our sample menus are available in a larger font upon request.
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email or in person. Please email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers, there are two companies in St Austell that have accessible taxis if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
At a Glance
- The hotel is a building of four floors.
- The 86 bedrooms are located over the three upper floor levels.
- The ground floor provides the lounge bar, spa bar, bay view restaurant, taste restaurant and private dining/meeting room.
- The lower ground floor accessed by a staircase contains an informal snooker room which has two snooker tables. A full local and county information stand can also be found in this area.
- Leisure facilities are provided by way of a spa with two treatment rooms and a newly refurbished gym, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, sauna, steam room, heated loungers and whirlpool bath.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls. The hotel does not allow pets unless they are assistance dogs. Assistance dogs must be registered.
- There is free Wi-Fi available throughout the hotel.
- There is good mobile reception throughout the hotel and every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested at 11am every Monday, you’ll be reminded during in check-in.
Getting around inside the Hotel
- The flooring is tiled to the foyer area and then carpeted and has 2 high back chairs.
- The height of the reception desk is 1190mm.
- There is seating available with a selection of high back seats present and the lounge being very nearby.
- The lighting is LED downlighting.
- Hearing loops are not available.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The Bay View Restaurant, Lounge Bar, Spa Bar and Spa are on the entrance level and have direct access.
- The Taste Restaurant is accessible via three steps 110mm high or a ramp can be made available.
- To permit free movement, automatic door release mechanisms are used in some parts of the building. Doors fitted with this type of closure will shut if the fire alarm system operates.
- The minimum width of doorways into the lounge and restaurant is 1500mm although most doors on the ground floor can be opened to 900mm.
- Wall sockets are located throughout the ground floor.
- The majority of areas on the ground floor are carpeted.
- The floor in The Bay View Restaurant is tiled and carpeted.
- The floor in Taste Restaurant is tiled and hardwood polished floor. There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with or without arms available. There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested. Service is a mixture of buffet (at breakfast only) and table service. Full waiter service is provided if required.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
- Full lists of calorific values are available for all menu items.
- The Spa is located on the entrance level.
- Nail Studio is located on the second floor.
- The indoor heated pool is all on one level for easy access to all users. Measurements of the indoor pool - 12 metres x 6 metres (1m shallow to 1.5m deep) Entry into the indoor pool is by 3 built-in steps.
- Measurements of the outdoor pool – 23 metres x 8 metres (1m shallow to 1.5m deep)
- The outdoor pool has level access from the terrace. Entry into the outdoor pool is by 4 built-in steps.
- There are no lifeguards on duty.
- Seating is available by the indoor pool.
- There are loungers around the outdoor pool and on the lawn. There are also high-backed chairs with arms and round tables on the patioed terrace with sunshades available.
- Lifesaving equipment is available in prominent positions around the indoor and outdoor pools.
- In the changing rooms, lockers are provided at eye level and lower.
- There are 24 steps up to the first floor with 2 small turn landings. There are 17 steps up to the second floor with one turn landing. There are 17 steps up to the third floor
- Each step is 150mm high with the average depth of the treader being 360mm from the ground to the second floor and 250mm to the third floor.
- There is one handrail to each staircase.
- The bedrooms are located over floors 1 to 3 and are accessed by stairs or lift. The entry threshold is level for all rooms.
- A Deafgard fire alarm listening device is available at reception if required. A personal fire action plan is prepared for all guests with disability issues requiring this service.
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All bedrooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request. The majority of bedding is 'non-feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All bedrooms are 'non-smoking'.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have en-suite facilities
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in most bedrooms. Our single beds are 3 feet, double beds are 5 feet and super king beds are 6 feet. The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our reservations team can discuss this with you when booking. The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some bedrooms.
- Nonallergic bedding is available.
- All bedrooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All bedrooms have a full-length mirror and also a dressing table mirror. All bedrooms have wardrobes of various sizes.
- TV's have subtitles available.
- Bathrooms and Shower rooms
- Ladies' and gents' toilets are available on the ground floor, close to the bar and restaurant.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This area is 2 metres X 1.7 metres. Baby changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet on the ground floor. The room is well lit and the floor is tiled.
- The access door opens outwards. The opening is 980mm.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Two supporting grab rails are provided.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far. The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- There are three designated disabled parking spaces in the car park at the front of the hotel. These spaces are available to those with a blue disability badge. If the spaces aren’t available when you arrive, we can arrange to park your car for you. The entrance to the front of the hotel is via double doors into a foyer area and then four steps with a height of 140mm lead to the reception and public areas. Guests with mobility issues are able to access the hotel by using the spa facilities door 20 metres from the main entrance
- The width of the spa entrance door is 900mm.
- Porters are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered directly to your room. A porter can also help you upon departure.
- The main car park is directly in front of the hotel entrance, with overspill parking adjacent to the hotel and across the private road 50 meters away. There is a drop-off point at the main entrance to the hotel.
- The Golf Clubhouse is located approximately 200 yards from the hotel with access available by road or by a gravel path through the garden.
- The Golf Clubhouse entrance is accessible via one step or via a portable ramp. A mixture of armed and armless seating is available throughout the clubhouse. Full waiter service can be provided upon request.
- The Clubhouse offers excellent natural light as well as artificial light which may be dimmed to reflect the correct ambience throughout the day.
- The Clubhouse terrace is accessible via two steps from the clubhouse or by a ramp around the side of the building.
- The Clubhouse has a disabled toilet.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to arrange the hire on your behalf.
- Bath seat
- High Chair
- Z Beds
- Some bedrooms have minibars, suitable for the storage of medication and the hotel will endeavour to allocate these on requests of this facility.
- Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can be charged near reception.
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder and does not have flashing lights. Deafgards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A personal emergency evacuation plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests where required.
This website (https://carlyonbay.com/) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact email@example.com.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Accessibility Guide but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this guide. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.