Commis Chef Apprentice
Salary: Above government apprenticeship wageApply
Deadline to apply:
As a Commis Chef Apprentice, you will learn how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen, whilst also learning about the hospitality business. The apprenticeship programme takes between 12 - 18 months, during which time you will earn whilst you learn. You will work alongside the hotel teams, with HIT Training looking after the academic side of your qualification. Please note there are no days at college for this apprenticeship.
During your apprenticeship with Brend Hotels, you will get hands-on experience within the hospitality industry as well as gain a nationally recognised qualification which you can take anywhere - There may even be an opportunity to stay with us and see where your next steps take you. You will also receive competitive pay above the Government apprenticeship standard, staff discounts at Brend Hotels, free meals on duty and paid holidays. This is a great opportunity to work for a successful local company in Cornwall where there are numerous opportunities for progression.
What students will do as a Commis Chef apprentice:
As an apprentice at Carlyon Bay, you will prepare food and carry out basic cooking tasks under the supervision of a more senior chef. Specifically, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Learn and develop new skills within the kitchen
- Develop food knowledge by taking part in tastings with the head chef
- Prepare food to the company’s high standards, learning about the responsibilities required to ensure that quality and consistency is achieved
- Look after stock – security, rotation and stock levels
- Prepare for/attend practical learning sessions
- Keep a diary to record the development of your knowledge and skills
- Demonstrate commitment to your apprenticeship programme
- Work as part of a team and develop interpersonal skills
What are we looking for?
To successfully fill this role as an apprentice at Carlyon Bay, you should maintain the attitude, behaviours, skills, and values that follow:
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Good communication skills
- A neat and tidy appearance (hair and fingernails) and adherence to uniform requirements.
- Flexibility to respond to a range of different work situations
- Ability to work on your own and as part of a team
What’s in it for me?
There are plenty of perks when it comes to joining the Brend Hotels team, including competitive rates of pay, paid holidays, and a share of staff tips. You’ll also receive discounts when dining at any Brend Hotels establishment as well as up to 50% off accommodation rates. Brend Hotels are very proud of their wonderful staff and do all they can to develop them, offering support and training throughout their career as well as offering genuine opportunities for career progression within a successful local company. As an apprentice, you will also gain valuable experience within the industry alongside a level 2 qualification in hospitality.
What is it like to work for Brend Hotels?
Brend Hotels is a family-run company that has been a leader in West Country hospitality for over fifty years. We have a passion for excellence and we pour our hearts and souls into making sure we exceed customer expectations time and time again. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!